Rio Rancho, NM 87124
Democratic Party of Sandoval County
Rio Rancho Public School is considering placing armed security guards on campuses for the security of our students.
A meeting billed as “Parent Meeting on Armed Security Officers,” is scheduled for Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 500 Laser Road, Rio Rancho, NM 87124.
The meeting is scheduled to be in Training Room 1 next door to the Administration Building. I am told that you should look for the building with the tall doors.
The meeting is scheduled for 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M.
This is a serious issue. The logistics of the measure promotes multiple questions.
- What level of security do we currently have? Are there currently off-duty policemen/women working at Rio Rancho schools?
- Are the proposed security guards to be off-duty policemen/women who have current training in security measures?
- Are the proposed security guards security guards as seen at malls, etc. with limited or no on-going training in security measures or arms control?
- Where will these security guards be located?
- What will their mission/marching orders be?
- Is there a high threat level for Rio Rancho Public Schools?
- Are armed security guards planned for all schools or a limited number?
- Are there funds available to pay for these armed security guards?
These are only a few questions I have and you probably have many more.
Whether you agree with this issue or not, as concerned citizens you may want to attend the meeting.
I do not know if there will be an opportunity for the audience participation, but you may want to prepare to speak if given the opportunity.
Chairman Democratic Party of Sandoval County