Steve Pearce’s extreme voting record hurts New Mexico.
• If Steve Pearce thinks he should be governor after voting against the interests of
New Mexicans and supporting an extreme right-wing agenda, he should know he
can’t fool voters.
• Pearce would push the same failed Republican economic agenda of the past seven
• Democrats are going to hold Pearce accountable for his failure to stand up for the
community on healthcare, on policies that will drive job creation, and community
efforts to protect our state’s public lands.
• After eight years of Gov. Susana Martinez’s failed economic leadership, New Mexico
needs a change – not a Donald Trump clone like Steve Pearce.
• Steve Pearce has proven to be a far-right ideologue outside the mainstream of New
• Steve Perce’s support of the extreme Republican agenda would potentially take
health care away from 250,000 New Mexicans, kill approximately 11,000 jobs, and
put a $678 million burden on hospitals in the state.
• Pearce wrote a letter to the Department of Interior undermining community efforts to
protect the Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument, which has a direct
impact on New Mexico’s economy.
New Mexico needs a Democrat in the second congressional district.
• New Mexico’s second congressional district is in play.
• Since the 2016 election we’ve seen an increased interest in the Democratic Party
from people across this district and we’re working on building this grassroots effort.
• With this energy we will surely register new voters, organize more events, and
support our candidates come election time.
• Any Republican in this seat will vote for harmful bills that don’t benefit our community
and instead give unfair advantages to millionaires and billionaires.
• Democratic values are New Mexico values— Democrats believe that we’re greater
together than we are on our own, that New Mexico succeeds when everyone gets a
fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same rules.
• Republicans in Congress are looking to take health care away from people right here
in Southern New Mexico, and Congressman Pearce voted for that bill.
• A strong Democratic candidate will be ready to take on the Republican nominee and
be a champion for working families in New Mexico’s second district.
• Democrats know that New Mexicans work hard—we value family, we value dignity,
and we value respect.
Background on Pearce’s Record
HEADLINE: Pearce votes yes as House passes sweeping healthcare bill. [New Mexico Political Report, 5/4/17]
Pearce Called the GOP House Health Care Bill “A Step in the Right Direction.”
According to the New Mexico Political Report, “In a statement, Pearce said ‘While
today’s bill is in no way perfect, it is a step in the right direction.’ He continued: ‘My
decision on today’s health care bill, as with all bills, came down to its overall impact on
the lives of the New Mexican people. This is a step-by-step approach, of which this is
merely the first.’ Pearce is part of the House Freedom Caucus, a hardline conservative
bloc of House members that successfully pushed the health care legislation to the right
after a failed repeal attempt in March.”
So Far in 2017, Pearce Has Voted with Trump 94.6% of the Time. According to
FiveThirtyEight, So far in 2017, Rep. Pearce has voted in line with President Trump’s
position 94.6%. [FiveThirtyEight, 6/29/17]
January 2017: Pearce Said Trump’s Travel Ban Would Further “The Safety of Our
Nation.” According to a post on Pearce’s Facebook page, “The clunky roll out of
President Trump’s recent order on refugees shows the youth, but also the ambition, of a
new Administration. The goal of this order, however, is one we can all agree on – the
safety of our nation. With this short term halt on certain visas, our nation can take a
comprehensive assessment of the refugee and visa admission process to ensure our
procedures are placing the safety and security of our nation first. I applaud DHS
Secretary Kelly for working through the stumbled introduction of the order, to act on
provisions laid out in President Trumps order that permit lawful permanent residents and
green card holders admission into the United States. I hope the Trump Administration
takes immediate action to follow through on its plan to revise our security procedures so
we can return to a safer America.” [Facebook, Congressman Steve Pearce, 1/30/17]
2017: Pearce Cosponsored HR 354, “Defund Planned Parenthood Act of
2017.” [congress.gov, HR 354, 1/6/17]
Opposed Minimum Wage Increase. In 2007, Pearce voted against increasing the
minimum wage from by $2.10 an hour to $7.25 an hour. The measure passed 218-212.
[HR 1591, Vote #186, 3/23/07]
Named One of the Most Corrupt Members of Congress in 2007 and 2008. In
September 2007 and September 2008, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in
Washington (CREW) named Pearce to their lists of the 22 and 20 most corrupt
members of Congress.